So you've done it! You have decided to move! A new office or apartment or house? Now what??? After you hired the most amazing packing and moving team, D&L Movers, your first step is to organize your thoughts and make a moving checklist.
3 Weeks before the Big Move Day:
- Transfer utilities and services to your new home or office.
- Complete repair work on your old home/office and arrange for critical work needed at your new home/office.
- If you are going to pack yourself, get started, you have a
long road ahead. Packing always takes longer than anticipated. (Helpful packing ideas yet to come in next blog.)
- Have a garage sale or plan a dump run for items you no longer need. The fewer items moved, the lower the moving cost! Plus, who knows? You might get a few unexpected bucks!!
- Plan your food purchases to have as little as possible in the
freezer and fridge for move day. D&L Movers will not move perishable
- Contact your children's schools and arrange to have records transferred, if needed.
- Make banking arrangements in your new town and transfer security deposit box, if necessary.
2 Weeks before The Move:
- Contact homeowner's insurance company to cancel current coverage or transfer existing coverage.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets and houseplants - movers cannot transport these items.
- Transfer all drug prescriptions to a drugstore in your new town.
- If moving long distance and you are traveling by automobile, have it serviced.
- Cancel/transfer any residual delivery services such as newspapers, magazines, water, etc.
- Empty secret hiding places; remove valuables and spare house keys.
1 Week until Move Day:
- If you have not yet started packing your home, call D&L Moving so that we can get some packers to help you.
- Drain gas and oil from gas-powered tools such as lawnmowers - movers cannot move anything with gas and oil.
- If you have young children, arrange for a babysitter (ON MOVE DAY), trust us on this one!
- Remove any fixtures (shower heads, faucets) you are taking with you, and replace if necessary.
- If moving long distance, empty and defrost your freezer, clean with a disinfectant, and let it air out.
- Leave your forwarding address/phone number with your home's new occupants in case problems arise.
- Be sure to pack up the essentials and take them with you. This
simple checklist will ensure that you'll have just what you need the
moment you enter your new home. Pretend like you are packing for a mini get-away.
- Alarm Clock
- Aspirin or pain reliever
- Basic cleaning supplies & paper towels
- Bedding & linens
- Box cutter or knife
- Change of clothes
- Disposable plates, cups & eating utensils
- Extension cords & batteries
- First-aid kit
- Light bulbs
- Medications & eye glasses
- Pet supplies
- Screw Driver
- Toilet paper
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, razors)
- Work gloves
Wow! It's Move Day!
- Get a good stretch or a yoga pose; wear some comfortable clothes and rest
assured that you hired the most dependable moving company to take care of you
and your move!
- Be accessible on your cell phone before the move: you can expect
a confirmation call before crew gets dispatched from the D&L Movers Headquarters.
- Be present to answer questions and give directions to the movers.
- Please remain present until the move is finished.